Bonfire at Night – 100 word fiction

cars-in-sand Prompt

Summer ’15. Those half buried cars stood up from the meadow like a strange artifact. We were drawn to them at dusk like birds seeking shelter for the night.  Kids from different towns.  Meeting up in a free zone.  I saw her by the bonfire. She looked up. My life would never be the same.  Father would never approve.  I didn’t care. I was terrified, but approached her anyway. I’m a terrible dancer. Luckily she was worse. Eventually giving up the dance, we walked out of the firelight. Holding hands in the dark. The world would be ours one day.

19 Comments Add yours

1. uehobbyist says:

Rochelle sets us a one hundred word flash fiction challenge, prompted by a photo, every week. Come and have a go, if you think you’re bard enough.

2. A love story blooms, lovely. I liked that she couldn’t dance either. That’s me! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. uehobbyist says:

I love a women who are not afraid to show their imperfections. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

3. Vinay Leo R. says:

A happily after seems on the horizon 🙂 At least, I hope it is.

My Fictioneers’ Story

1. uehobbyist says:

I’d like to think so. 🙂

4. Lovely. Summer ’15 – those days to remember. And great romance.

1. uehobbyist says:

Summer is my favorite time of the year. We all had a place like that in those past days.

5. micklively says:

I like the way this develops: so much from so few words.

6. Dear Unhobbyist,,

Welcome to Friday Fictioneers. Relationships can happen in strange ways. Nicely done.

Shalom,

Rochelle

1. uehobbyist says:

Thank you Rochelle. This is an interesting concept for a challenge 🙂

7. Ah, a nice story – I hope they stay together.

1. uehobbyist says:

Thanks. As the author, I can assure you they live happily ever after.

8. I like how you had kids from all over meeting in the free zone. Nice.

1. uehobbyist says:

Thank you.I like to think that those teenagers are forging their own networks outside of what we adults are trying to train them to.

9. A very interesting couple. Like to know what happens. Perhaps a follow-up?

1. uehobbyist says:

I want them to have a happy ending.

10. rgayer55 says:

I remember meeting other teenagers at places out in the sticks, swimming holes, etc. Great memories. Welcome to FFF.

1. uehobbyist says:

I didn’t notice the genre suggestion until after I published this one. Still a good memory for me as well. Although I grew up near the beach. the premise was the same: finding a place to congregate.